When we hit the home stretch of summer, something happens. No, I am not simply referring to the sadness that sets in when reality is right around the corner. I am referring to the dried out, lackluster state of our strands!
Instead of fighting the elements, and trying desperately to make less than luxurious hair appear perfectly polished, Fekkai Senior Stylist Elie Camoro, showed me how to transform my sun damaged frizzy mess into envy-inducing beach blown waves:
(1) Dampen hair — you can use a spray bottle or run a brush under the faucet.
(2) Work a nickel-sized dollop of Fekkai Summer Hair Smooth Sailing Anti-Frizz Cream through hair, starting in the back and working way up to crown.
(3) Take 2-inch sections and twist them away from the face, starting as close to the root as possible and going all the way to the ends. Then, take the ringlet in your palm and scrunch it up towards the crown, really rubbing your fingers along the hair to create texture. The twisting smoothes out hair and takes out the frizz, scrunching adds the crucial crunch component.
(4) Tilt head to each side and spray Fekkai Summer Hair Beach Spray into hair, with the nozzle facing outwards. Don’t touch it (I know you want to, but don’t resist).
(5) Finish with Fekkai Summer Hair Cooling Shine Mist, holding it above the head and misting from root to tip. This gives hair enough shine to make it look healthy without taking away the texture.
(6) If you want extra volume, work your fingers forward from the nape of your neck up to your forehead right along the root. Whatever you do, don’t mess with the curls. Keep fingers and palms right up against the scalp.
(7) Let hair air-dry.
Extra Credit: If you want what Elie refers to as “photo shoot hair”, take a curling iron and evenly disperse about 6-8 curls throughout the hair — leaving the root and tip out of the iron, simply creating a curl in the middle of the strands.
Now, just because we learned how to work with damaged hair doesn’t mean we should embrace it long-term, ladies. Fekkai’s new PrX line is the best end-of-summer gift you can give to your locks. Use the PrX Reparatives Intensive Fortifying Mask weekly to visibly repair the texture of the hair and strengthen it.