If the floral fashions we are seeing for summer had a makeup incarnation, it would be the Dolce & Gabbana Spring/Summer 2012 Bouquet Collection. And the images of Felicity Jones starting at us through beautiful eyes made even more piercing framed by pastel green shadow is enough to inspire anyone to give the pastel trend a try.
So I did.
With a little help from the pros at the Saks Dolce & Gabbana counter, I test ran the look in the most wearable way possible.
Some tips to translate the trend:
(1) Start with the Mint Eyeliner — but use it as an eye shadow, from the upper lash line to the crease. This gives opaqueness to the lid that is necessary to make the pastel pop. Then, use the pencil as a liner on the lower lash line.
(2) Take the green shadow in the Bouquet Smooth Eye Color Quad and apply over the liner and up just above the crease to soften the shade without diluting it.
(3) In the inner corners of the eye, dab a bit of silver shadow to brighten. (Personal side note — this is one makeup tip I do every day, even on practically no-makeup days — totally wakes up the face.)
(4) Add Lilac Eyeliner to the lower lash line from just under the iris to the outer corner.
(5) Charcoal liner on the upper lash line gives that necessary bit of definition- and of course, as is the Dolce & Gabbana signature, it must angle up slightly at the outer corner to create a subtle yet insanely sexy cat eye.
(6) While I was perhaps as skeptical as the next girl about pulling off a pastel eye, in mint no less, the final look was a very pleasant and pretty surprise.
And that is what I adore about makeup. You never know what looks you will love, until you give them a try.